[Priority Listing] Early Childhood Educator
Early Childhood Educator 2023 - 2024
Job Description and Requirements:
An Early Childhood Educator at New Amsterdam School is responsible for supporting coordination and development of age/developmentally appropriate curriculum and programming, early childhood staff training, supervision of teachers and teaching, and developing curriculum aligned with Waldorf pedagogy. This position also holds a role on the Leadership Council and will be involved in organizational decisions such as budgeting, staff development, and program development.
New Amsterdam School uses a shared leadership model. As an Early Childhood Educator, you would participate in this structure through weekly faculty meetings, weekly Leadership Council meetings, and by working in committees that are pertinent to your role and expertise.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with the Pedagogical Chair to plan and implement curriculum throughout early childhood programs.
- Supports staff training supervision of teachers with Pedagogical Chair.
- Manages After School and Robin’s Nest programming.
- Manages all supplies for classrooms.
- Help keep a clean and tidy school environment. All teachers are responsible for basic classroom cleaning and maintenance (sanitizing surfaces, washing dishes, putting away toys and furniture, decoration, organizing supplies, food storage and clean up, etc).
- Attend weekly one hour meetings for the Leadership Council (meeting time TBD).
- Attend weekly one hour Full School Meetings (Thursday from 3:30pm-4:30pm in 2023/2024).
- Actively engage in professional development throughout the year. Provide a brief written reflection (2 pages maximum) on your observations, growth, and process from the year by the end of June 2024, to be shared with the Leadership Council.
- Participate in at least one school committee throughout the year, taking responsibility for meeting as needed, and accomplishing the work of the committee.
- Participate in at least two garden work-days at El Jardin per year (totaling eight hours).
- Participate in facilitating five school festivals and two enrollment events per year (Michaelmas/Lantern Walk/Winter Fair/Spiral of Light/May Day).
- Adhere to all School policies as outlined in the Employee Handbook.
- File all required health forms and documentation of training required by August 31, 2023.
Required Experience & Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- M.ED, MA or MS in Early Childhood Education in progress, or currently held (preferred)
- New York State Teacher Certification
- Birth – 2nd Grade (including birth – 2nd grade for students with disabilities)
- 1st – 6th Grade (including birth – 2nd grade for students with disabilities)
- N – 6th Grade (Including Special Education)
- PreK – 6th Grade (including Special Education)
- At least two years of experience as a group teacher supervising and supporting in a program for children under six years of age.
* Pending Certifications and/ or Approvals from the State Education Department or other accreditation organization will be accepted only if awaiting certificate.
- Interest in working in a collaborative leadership style.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with attention to detail.
- Proficient in Google Workspace - especially Calendar, Sheets, Docs.
- Strong outdoor risk assessment and mitigation skills.
- Excellent emotional regulation and ability to support colleagues/children/community members through challenges.
- Strong understanding of childhood development and behavioral support.
- Commitment to working to create a supportive and& respectful environment.
- Ability to be self-reflective, committed to personal growth, and actively seek feedback and support.
- Administrative / Enrollment Experience.
- Fundraising Experience.
- Interest in Waldorf education / progressive education / similar education systems.
- Spanish proficiency
40 hours / week Monday-Friday, with some weekend / evening responsibilities.
Compensation: Salaried Position ($42,000 - $55,000 / per year)
*Please note: in the State of New York, employment is at will and is not guaranteed for any period of time.*
Benefits: Healthcare, paid professional development opportunities, tuition remission, and an outside mentor.
Start Date: July 1, 2023
Please send a brief cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at New Amsterdam School. Employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.