Rainbow Garden Assistant
Position: Rainbow Garden Assistant
Program: Early Childhood Education
Reports to: Early Childhood Education Director
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt (Hourly)
Date: May 2023
The Rainbow Garden Assistant supports the Rainbow Garden Lead Teacher in providing an age appropriate Waldorf lunch and rest program that encourages the health, well-being, and safety of the children in their care. The Rainbow Garden Assistant position is part of the Early Childhood Education (“ECE”) program held after Kindergarten hours from 12:15 pm to 3:15 pm.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist Rainbow Garden Lead Teacher with set up for rest, helping children with their lunch, and clean up
- Assist in maintaining a warm and nurturing environment
- Oversee play with children on the playground
- Help with daily preparations of classroom, restocking materials and general order, cleanliness, and aesthetics in classroom
- Guide and encourage children with self-care -diapering, toileting, dressing, and social behavior
- Direct parent communications about student behavior and concerns to Rainbow Garden Lead Teacher
- Knowledge of the SMWS Campus Emergency Plan
- Maintain confidentiality in all student/parent situations
- Complete monthly online timesheet
- May be asked to substitute for morning program if available
- This position can be combined with the Early Childhood Teacher Assistant position with hours of 8:00 am to 12:30 pm
- Attendance encouraged at scheduled ECE meetings including In-Service (August and June)
- Attendance in the August licensing meeting is mandatory.
- Mentoring and development provided by Rainbow Garden Lead and ECE Director
- Participate in the annual work day in August to prepare the classroom
Education and Qualifications
- Early Childhood Education experience preferred
- Waldorf Kindergarten experience preferred
- Reliable, consistent, and collegial
- Possess a warm, friendly, and joyous demeanor
Early Childhood Licensing Requirements
- Complete requirements for Colorado ECE regulations of Colorado Department of Human Services, Division of Child Care. Must be an ECT (Early Childhood Teacher) as designated by the State of Colorado or working toward this qualification.
- Within 30 days CPR, First Aid, Standard Precautions, Physical, Background check, fingerprinting, mandatory licensing classes, registration in Colorado Shines PDIS and Early Childhood Educator qualified per the State of Colorado’s requirements.
- Submission of a medical physical by a licensed physician or other health care professional as required per licensing regulations
- Kindergarten classroom and playground
- Hours are 12:15 pm to 3:15 pm, M,T,W, F and 12:15-2:15 Thursday
- Work schedule follows the SMWS annual school calendar - late August through early June
- Because of the classroom setting, there are limited breaks offered during the day
Salary and Benefits
- Hourly rate of $20.00 per hour when teaching
- Lead Substitute rate of $25.00 per hour (ECT required)
- Hourly rate of $18.00 per hour when participating in meetings/trainings
- Three (3) paid Holidays include: Fall Break Holiday, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, and Memorial Day
- Colorado Paid Sick Leave - 1 hour for each 30 hours worked - up to 48 hours per year
- Professional Development - will be paid time
- Required 15 hours of online PDIS (Professional Development Information System) classes
- This is a part time position - no additional benefits are offered at this time
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the Essential Duties and Responsibilities of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to:
- Frequent walks; use of hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; speaking and listening
- Daily requirement to stand and sit; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, bend, squat or crawl
- Ability to lift and carry up to 25 pounds and in case of emergency a 40-pound child
- Vision requirements include: close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Shining Mountain Waldorf School is fully committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and to attracting, retaining, developing and promoting the most qualified employees without regard to their race, religion, gender, gender identity, disability, familial status, sexual orientation or nation or ethnic origin, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic prohibited by state or local law. We are dedicated to providing a work environment free from discrimination and harassment, and where employees are treated with respect and dignity.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.