Lead Elementary Teacher, Farm Raised Program (Ages 7-10)
Position: Lead Elementary Teacher, Farm Raised Program
Location: San Juan Capistrano, California
Organization: The Ecology Center, San Juan Capistrano, California
About The Ecology Center:
The Ecology Center is a 28-acre Regenerative Organic Certified™ farm, café, farm stand, and education center located in the midst of urban sprawl in San Juan Capistrano. We are dedicated to providing creative solutions for thriving on planet Earth and fostering healthy communities in the 21st century. Our holistic approach integrates agriculture, culinary arts, and education to inspire and educate individuals about sustainable living. The Ecology Center is recognized as a leader in promoting better, healthy living and is committed to creating a more abundant future.
Farm Raised at The Ecology Center:
Farm Raised is our homeschooling co-op program designed for 15 children in grades 1 to 5. We offer a unique educational experience where children learn through the lens of nature and immerse themselves in the principles of regenerative agriculture. As an emergent curriculum, our program encourages children to explore and discover knowledge within the farm ecosystem. We believe that the farm can be a classroom that fosters creativity, collaboration, and problem-solving skills.
About San Juan Capistrano:
Located in Southern California, this picturesque town is nestled amidst a vibrant surfing culture and boasts a rich cultural history rooted in the Acjachemen Native American heritage, pioneering spirit, and Spanish architecture. As a teacher in San Juan Capistrano, you'll have the privilege of immersing students in sustainable Regenerative Farming practices, connecting them with nature, and inspiring them to learn about our rich local history. Embrace the perfect blend of outdoor adventure, agroecology, and cultural appreciation in this dynamic and beautiful setting.
We are seeking an experienced and passionate Elementary Teacher to join our team at Farm Raised. The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding and experience with Permaculture Principles, as well as a strong commitment to holistic education. Experience with Waldorf School pedagogy or Biodynamic farming, is a plus. In this role, you will work collaboratively with our village teachers, farmers, chefs, parents, and artisans to provide a rich and engaging learning experience for our students.
- Facilitate experiential and inquiry-based learning activities for students in grades 1 to 5, Mondays through Thursdays.
- Utilize the farm as a classroom to teach foundational curriculum through the lens of nature and regenerative agriculture.
- Collaborate with village teachers, farmers, chefs, and artisans to develop and implement engaging lessons and projects.
- Foster a positive and inclusive learning environment that encourages creativity, critical thinking, and collaboration.
- Guide students in understanding and applying Permaculture Principles and sustainable practices.
- Assess student progress and provide regular feedback to students, parents, and the program coordinator.
- Collaborate with parents to support the individual needs and interests of each student.
- Maintain a safe and organized learning environment on the farm.
- Collaborate with the Education Team to support and host Field Trips to the farm on Fridays.
- Bachelor's degree in Education or a related field (Teaching credential preferred).
- Experience teaching elementary school-aged children, preferably in an experiential or outdoor education setting.
- Knowledge and experience with Permaculture Principles and regenerative agriculture.
- Appreciation of Waldorf Principles and practices.
- Passion for holistic education and a commitment to cultivating a love for the earth and learning in children.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate with a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Ability to create a positive and inclusive learning environment that fosters creativity, curiosity, and collaboration in a dynamic, muli-aged student community.
- Flexibility and adaptability to work in an emergent curriculum model.
- Understanding of emergent and child-led learning approaches.
- First aid and CPR certification (or willingness to obtain).
To apply, please submit the following documents to [Greg@theecologycenter.org]:
- Cover letter highlighting your relevant experience and passion for holistic education
- Contact information for three professional references
Application Deadline: June 30, 2023
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. Farm Raised at The Ecology Center is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply.
- Salary Range: $65k+ depending on experience
- Medical, dental, life and vision insurance
- 401K match
- Vacation Time
- Sick Leave
- Paid Time Off
- 20% discount in the Farm Stand
- Discount codes to partner companies, including Vissla and Patagonia