[Priority Listing] High School Humanities Teacher 23/24
High School Humanities Teacher | May 2023
Shining Mountain Waldorf High School is at an exciting point in its 40 year history. We have recently broken ground on our new state of the art high school campus, adjacent to the existing lower school campus. As such, the school has been deeply engaged in a revisioning process for the past several months to rediscover our unique, contemporary identity and to identify several capstone pilot program opportunities.
We are now seeking a dynamic, student-centered full-time High School Humanities Teacher to begin in July 2023. We are searching for candidates who are interested in pioneering a new vision, those who thrive in environments of innovation and change. Educators who bring a record of success in the classroom in their given discipline and an interest in sharing their passions with adolescents. Ideal candidates will be creative, team players, with diverse interests, and a willingness to engage in the life of our school community. Ultimately, we seek those who will inspire a love of learning and a love of life in future generations of SMWHS students.
Shining Mountain Waldorf School:
Shining Mountain Waldorf School, founded in 1983, is an accredited Pre-K-12 nonprofit independent school located in Boulder, Colorado on the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains. We are recognized for our academic depth, experiential learning, artistic integration, wilderness experiences, and strong athletic program. Our school is about an hour’s drive to Denver and Rocky Mountain National Park. We are close to world-class hiking, skiing, and outdoor recreation. A college town, Boulder is home to the University of Colorado and Naropa University, as well as numerous local organizations that provide a rich variety of arts, lectures, and workshops. Boulder is known for its natural beauty, environmental initiatives, sustainable agriculture, farm-to-table dining, and more than 300 days of sunshine each year.
Job Title: High School Humanities Teacher
Program: High School
Reports to: High School Director
FLSA Status: Exempt
Date: May 2023
The High School Humanities Teacher works in collaboration with the Faculty, High School Director, and Pedagogical Director in the development and execution program. This full time position includes instruction in a variety of English and literature blocks, history blocks, tracks, elective, and advanced classes, as well as directing plays. Additionally, the position includes ancillary responsibilities such as advising students, leading clubs, chaperoning field trips, participating in faculty committees, and engaging positively in the life of the school. Shining Mountain Waldorf High School is a highly collaborative environment and encourages strong relationships, inclusivity, input, and innovation within the teaching and student community.
Education and Qualifications / Regulations
- Master’s Degree in education or specified subject area preferred.
- A minimum of four years of teaching experience.
- Waldorf teaching and and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred.
- A love of adolescents.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with students and colleagues, and an interest in active community engagement.
- A strong commitment to equity and inclusion.
- Demonstrated teaching capacity in experiential and project-based learning.
- A commitment to continued learning, i.e., Waldorf and general educational trends, research-based learning models, educational technology, curriculum development, learning standards, multicultural education, and current best practices.
- Organizational and computer skills essential.
In accordance with the SMWS philosophy, the person filling this position may be required to carry out other duties necessary to the fulfillment of the school’s mission, strategies, and agreements.
- General classroom, field trip, and outdoor environments
- Occasional weekend and evening hours
Salary, Hours, and Benefits
Our faculty enjoys competitive salaries and a generous employee benefit program, including support for professional development, tuition remission for enrolled children, family medical and dental plans, and retirement savings options.
- Waldorf-trained base salary of $44,217, along with years of experience.
- SMWS has an excellent benefit package including medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability, life insurance, 401(k), and flexible spending accounts
- Full Time Salary position (exempt)
- Employee benefits are offered for this position
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the Essential Duties and Responsibilities of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to perform:
- Lift 25 pounds, bending, stretching
- Mobility to move boxes
- Work within an office setting
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Shining Mountain Waldorf School is fully committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and to attracting, retaining, developing and promoting the most qualified employees without regard to their race, religion, gender, gender identity, disability, familial status, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic prohibited by state or local law. We are dedicated to providing a work environment free from discrimination and harassment, and where employees are treated with respect and dignity.
Interested candidates should send a letter of interest and intent, resume, brief biography, and three references including current employer to firstname.lastname@example.org.