Director of Education
Richmond Waldorf School is seeking a Director of Education to oversee the pedagogical operations of the school. The Director of Education works with faculty, board, parents, administration, and the larger Richmond and Waldorf communities to build positive relationships that contribute to the expansion of our educational program and enrollment. This position works closely with and helps to coordinate the work of the faculty.
The Director of Education brings a whole-school perspective to all discussions, bridging administrative and pedagogical insights. They create and realize strategic visions in collaboration with other school leadership, including faculty, administration, board, and committees.
Richmond Waldorf School was founded in 1996 with a passion for providing children a holistic education that falls in alignment with their natural human development through hands-on, nature-rich, and play-based experiences. We are dedicated to providing a learning environment that cultivates creative thinking, genuine inquiry, and a love of learning. RWS has grown from a single Kindergarten classroom to a campus that serves over 185 students from Pre-K through 8th grade. Our specialty program includes Movement Arts, Russian, Spanish, Biking, Handwork, Woodwork, Visual Arts, and Latin. Richmond Waldorf School is a Candidate School of AWSNA (Association of Waldorf Schools of North America), SAIS (Southern Association of Independent Schools) and is a member of WECAN (Waldorf Early Childhood Association of North America).
Our school is located on a beautiful, urban campus in the Northside of Richmond, Virginia in close proximity to Virginia Commonwealth University, University of Richmond, and only a few hours from the Blue Ridge Mountains, Washington, DC, and the coastal beaches of Virginia and North Carolina. Richmond is a rapidly growing city with amazing restaurants, a thriving art and music scene, and a plethora of outdoor parks and walking trails. The James River winds its way through the heart of the city, offering four seasons of adventure and beauty.
- In collaboration with the College of Teachers, oversee and facilitate processes that ensure the school’s pedagogical quality, consistency, and continuity.
- Represent and advocate for the faculty within school and in the larger community. Connect the faculty realm with other realms of the school.
- Assist faculty in establishing and carrying out policies, procedures, and workflows. Ensure faculty is adhering to established policies and procedures. Prepare updates and disseminate to each realm of the school, as necessary.
- Provide support to help teachers with issues related to teaching, curriculum, and student development and conduct.
- Promote, organize, and ensure follow-through with faculty mentoring/advising and evaluation process.
- Coordinate faculty enrichment programs/workshops/study in consultation with the College Chair.
- Oversee the hiring and termination process of faculty.
- Receive issues and complaints. Direct individuals to appropriate people or groups for resolution and/or help problem solve. Follow-up to make sure issues are resolved.
- Chair weekly faculty meeting. Attend College, Administrative, and Board of Trustees meetings. Attend Section meetings, as necessary.
- Partner with DOA and AWSNA and WECAN faculty representatives to to support AWSNA and WECAN relationship.. Disseminate information to faculty regarding AWSNA/ WECAN events and news. Oversee completion of annual AWSNA/WECAN requirements.
- Oversee DSS and VDOE Licensing, in collaboration with the Director of Administration.
- Deepen understanding of students and curriculum by observing in the classrooms when possible.
- Collaborate on enrollment decisions when necessary.
- Update Faculty and Parent Handbooks with the Director of Administration.
- Assist the Director of Administration with annual employment agreements.
- Oversee Substitute Program.
- Oversee the Aftercare program.
- Help maintain accreditation status.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited institution
- Certification in Waldorf Education or the willingness to commit to
- 5+ years of teaching experience
- Supervisory experience in a school setting
- The preferred candidate will have a background working in Waldorf Education and demonstrated leadership experience as it relates to curriculum, student assessment, faculty evaluation and professional development, community building and engagement, facilitation and problem resolution.The Director of Education will be expected not only to be enthusiastically accessible to students, staff, and the parental community, but also be a compelling advocate for Waldorf education to the greater Richmond community.
Compensation: commensurate with experience
Follow this link below to apply and please attach a resume and cover letter to it.
If you have any questions or need help applying, contact LaToya Good at firstname.lastname@example.org