Full Time Physical Education/Movement and Games Teacher for 2023-2024
El Rio Community School in the Lincoln Heights neighborhood of Los Angeles is looking for an enthusiastic 1st-6th grade Games and Movement teacher to join our creative faculty for immediate hire for the 2023-2024 school year. The Waldorf teaching philosophy engages the imagination with enlivening, fun-filled games that build and develop capacities for physical and inner growth through a wide range of movement and games, spatial dynamics, and team building. The games and movement teacher will be able to nimbly plan and lead classes to teach and model movement skills that will serve our students for a lifetime. The position requires authentic warmth, good humor, joy and enthusiasm for working with children. The ideal candidate must also be willing to commit to the on-going work of diversity, equity, and inclusion and have familiarity or interest in best practices of public Waldorf education.
A Bachelor’s Degree and teaching credential (or eligibility; we also consider intern credentialed teachers) is required; The ideal candidate would have completed at least the Spacial Dynamics Level I Program of the Spacial Dynamics® Institute and have Waldorf teaching experience, but anyone who is interested in taking on this training is welcome to apply.
Ideal candidate will also possess:
- A passion and skill for teaching movement and games, with mixed ages of elementary and middle school students.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with both children and adults;
- Classroom management skills and positive discipline strategies;
- A passion for public Waldorf education, collaboration and growth;
- Ability to self-start and create lesson plans for a range of abilities;
- Flexibility and ability to work with a variety of communication styles;
- Experience in teaching elementary and middle school students;
- An eagerness to collaborate deeply with colleagues and school parents; and
- A commitment to ongoing professional development in both Waldorf pedagogy and the work of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Hours and Compensation
This is a full time, salaried position, paying between $65,000 and $95,000 for a 10.5 month work calendar, depending on education and experience.
Required training obtained during employment may include:
- CPR and First Aid
- Mandated Reporter Training
- Bloodborne Pathogens
- Sexual Harassment
- Suicide Prevention
- Racial Equity: Anti-bias Training
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resumé, and provide 2-3 recent professional references with contact information.
By email: Katie.firstname.lastname@example.org